Friday, May 29, 2009

Barn Building 101 - Don't Try This at Home


And, yes, boys and girls: the quickest way to get yourself nominated for this year's Darwin Award is, in fact, to put the pregnant lady on the peak of the barn securing the trusses!!

So, we're building this barn (we being my dad, myself, Todd and an occasional brother conned into it whilst stopping for some totally unrelated subject). The barn will be magnificent when we're finished - it just seems like the never ending project. And, to tell you the truth, most days we'll get home from work and my dad's already been working on it most of the day.

The funniest part I think came while sitting atop the rafter peak. My dad and I were running 2x4s across the trusses in order to screw the metal to the roof and had sent Todd to the hardware store for more screws. So, as I was sitting there I was thinking to myself, "ya know when you read the stories about stupid people doing stupid things? And then you think to yourself 'what were they thinking? Like, what were they even doing there?'" Right. Stupid people.....
So, as I was perched with hands and legs spread between trusses, no safety gear to speak of (lanyard, harness, fall protection, etc.), holding myself up and looking directly down at the ground 20 feet in the air, all while wrangling the skill saw and cordless drill I couldn't help but think to myself what the rescue workers would be talking about at break time...
1. "Who put the pregnant lady on the roof?"
2. "What was she doing up there anyway?"
3. "Where was her husband?"
Then, jostling me from my daydream, was Todd looking up at me, "Honey, do you need more screws?"

1 comment:

  1. Oh. Dear. Yes, friend, you ARE the people we in the medical profession speak of while shaking our heads and clucking our tongues.

    Please, just...be careful? Okay?

    ReplyDelete